"I WILL BE THE ONE! I MUST BE THE ONE! I WILL CAPTURE A HUMAN!"
– Papyrus discussing his plans with Sans.
Papyrus and his brother Sans are both sentries living in Snowdin, a wintry settlement of monsters located near the Ruins of the monsters' original capital city. Papyrus frequently serves as comic relief due to his overzealous nature and general lack of intelligence.
After meeting Sans for the first time outside the Ruins' main entrance, Papyrus soon arrives on the scene to scold his idle brother for failing to "recalibrate" his anti-human puzzles in a timely fashion. He also reiterates his desire to capture a human, which Papyrus believes will allow him to secure a position of great prestige in Asgore's elite Royal Guard. The player character hides behind a lamp during the two brothers' conversation; once Papyrus leaves, Sans asks the player to humor his brother for awhile, as Papyrus has never actually seen a real human before.
Papyrus' traps and puzzles prove to be largely ineffectual as roadblocks to the player's progress. When the player character tries to cross a narrow rope bridge, Papyrus unveils his final "Gauntlet of Deadly Terror" consisting of swinging spike balls, spears, flames and an antique cannon. However, Papyrus decides not to actually activate this deathtrap, declaring that it would be "too easy to defeat the human with" before fleeing the scene. After traversing the length of Snowdin Town, Papyrus confronts the player character one last time on a foggy river bank and initiates a boss fight.
List of AUs involving PapyrusEdit
- Royal Guard
- Pharaoh Papyrus
- Papyrus in Undertale, doesn't actually eat spaghetti, he only makes it because "...EVERYBODY ELSE LOVES IT!" As shown HERE
- His Favorite food in Undertale is "Dinosaur Oatmeal" as shown HERE
- Despite wanting to catch a human, in most AU's, he doesn't know what a human looks like.
- Canon Papyrus does not, despite being annoyed by Sans and Toriel, hate puns. He even says a few of his own during the game:
- (When called at the dump) "I ALWAYS MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BETTER... WHEN THEY'RE DOWN IN THE DUMPS!!!"
- (When first meeting him) "AS FOR YOUR WORK? PUT A LITTLE MORE "BACKBONE" INTO IT!"