I am Chara. "
– Chara's introduction at the end of a Genocide Route
Chara is a human that has mid-brown short hair, brown eyes, fair skin with rosy cheeks, and wears a green top with a single yellow stripe, accompanied with brown(?) pants and shoes. Chara is always seen with a smiling face, and is an iconic feature of Chara.
There are two main interpretations. Whether or not any one of the interpretations are incorrect are debatable, depending on each individual's beliefs, shaped by the little evidence they have found in the game.
Some interpretations of Chara include having them being a more neutral entity; a narrator who is trying to do the right thing but is forced to just going along with whatever Frisk does. When they are shown like this they are corrupted by the genocide run, but it is shown that they truly love the monsters at the end of the Pacifist run. Taking Frisk's soul is the player's consequence for killing everyone they love.
Alternate interpretations of Chara include having them being more villainous. In these interpretations they want to destroy all monsters and humans. According to the authors that make Chara like this, they are using Frisk to fulfill their quest of erasing the world and killing all humans and monsters, in which reasons why they want that remain unknown.
Chara's personality varies wildly depending on the writer which is why they are interpreted as an evil spirit, a neutral narrator, or even a nice person who is misunderstood, as we get almost no information on them in the game. What we do gather is:
- They hated humanity
- They climbed Mount Ebott for an unhappy reason. (in which many authors interpret as a suicidal attempt)
- They died due to buttercup poisoning so that Asriel and Chara could cross the barrier and gather 6 souls to break the barrier
- Chara's presence gave the underground monsters hope.
- Chara likes chocolate
- Chara made a Mr Dad guy sweater for Asgore
- Chara and Asriel almost poisoned Asgore by accidentally putting buttercups in Asgore's tea when they were kids
- Chara and Asriel were best friends
- Chara speaks like Toriel. (eg: saying "Greetings.")
List of AUs involving Chara Edit
- Undertale Rho
- Yee Haw
- Drunk Chara
- Charey (Chara Fusion)